Saturday, July 25, 2009

This Rocks My Colour World!

Hello,
This is a bird's eye view of my cropper hopper heavy duty rolling cart. My paper holder has a bin that holds just tons of 12 x 12 paper in vertical file folders, I think each one right now holds about 26 folders or so. I bought these from Joanne's on-line with a friend of mine and also from my local Michael's store a few years ago. They are made by Cropper Hopper. I don't think you can buy them anymore with the bin, but you can buy them without. I have implemented this sysem with my all of my cardstock; you can do this with whatever system you use for storing your papers as well.
I have had 3 of these rolling carts for a few years now, and until a year ago I only had my 12 x 12 papers in there. I also had them organized according to Stampin' Up!'s colour families (rich regals, soft subltes etc). Last fall I put all of my 8.5 x 11 cardstock into the folders with their matching 12 x 12 counterparts. I loved that I did that because when I wanted to grab a certain colour to work with, I had all of that specific colour of paper in all of the sizes I owned, plus all of the scraps (stored in a large ziploc bag within each folder) which are great for punches, and small stamped images etc. This also makes for great and easy portability of your colours when you want to go to a crop.
In just the last few weeks I have organized my paper folders according to the colours of the rainbow, just like my markers, and pencil crayons in the previous post. I now have a much better understanding as to exactly what each colour really is. For example: until now I have always thought of sage shadow as being a shade of green, but now I really know that it is actually a shade of blue-green. I can also see which colours are really yellow-greens, peaches not pinks, yellow-golds as opposed to yellow or a shade of brown.
Now I just need one more rolling cart, then I could add in all my printed papers and non-SU papers and slip them into their spots within the rainbow. This is the order of colours in my stash: pinks into burgundies which moves into reds, then red-oranges into peach, orange, and into the yellows, this moves into dirty yellows, yellow-greens, green, blue-greens, blue, blue-purples, purples, red-purples, which takes us back to the beginning of the rainbow. After the purple family I actually have all of my nuetral coloured cardstock, from creams to beiges to browns, then whites to greys to silver and finally blacks. This is what I did, but I did it by holding the paper next to each other and then I decided exactly where each one should be, sometimes I think I could still move them around but I will leave them as they are.
This has just changed perception of colour in scraproom! It has really simplified my search for just the right colour for each project.

No comments: